A thought leadership position that owns the customer and is responsible for converting consumer marketing strategies into executable strategic/tactical sales plans. The Customer Marketing manager provides leadership in terms of the development and execution of trade marketing strategies within assigned areas of responsibility. Position focuses on creation, implementation and coordination of the trade marketing plan in terms of merchandising, assortment, pricing, and shelf management and insuring alignment with overall corporate objectives. Position requires close communication with sales, marketing, finance, manufacturing, distribution and purchasing functions to sense business conditions and trends. Position is primarily responsible for the development, deployment, evaluation, and reconciliation of the trade promotion budget. Position also provides significant analyses of brand/product performance that help develop, implement or monitor sales and trade marketing programs and identify opportunities for growth and overall business improvement.
What is done: Implement/Monitor Trade Marketing Programs
What is done: Business Development
- Create necessary protocol to assure customer adherence to agreed upon trade marketing programs with regard to pricing, promotion and distribution.
- Evaluate competitive environment to identify risks/opportunities and develop appropriate actions plans.
- Utilize Gelco system to monitor and insure trade spending is within established limits. This includes basis trade spending (CMF) as well as unsaleables, open deduction balances (including aging of deductions) and status of rebills.
- Conduct necessary analyses using consumption, shipment, panel or other data as appropriate to evaluate customer trade promotion effectiveness. Based on these analyses, recommend actions for improvement.
- Participate in cross functional task teams as required. Such task teams could involve topics such as new product development, forecasting, etc.
- Participate in customer meetings as needed.
- Provide ad hoc analyses as needed by executive committee
- Manage a multi-million annual trade promotion budget within area of responsibility.
- Analysis and interpretation required in forecasting, evaluation of the trade marketing programs and in the development of category management/customer review presentations.
- Management of multiple projects concurrently and effectively
- Frequent overtime required
- Some travel required
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES/EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION REQUIRED TO SUCCESSFULLY PERFORM THE MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Describe those listed by denoting a (C) critical (difference between success and failure on the job), (I) important (a major contributor to success) or (N) nice to have (not a major determinant for success or failure).
Excellent analytical and strategic capabilities (C)
Strong knowledge base in terms of the CPG industry and all trade classes (C)
Aggressive bottom line results orientation (C)
Expert Excel User (C)
Proficient in PowerPoint & Word (I)
Strong mathematical, financial and business trend analysis skills (C)
High energy level and tolerance for stress (C)
Good communication skills (oral, written, and listening) (C)
Good interpersonal skills (C)
Solid presentation skills (I)
Working knowledge of other functions (e.g., sales, manufacturing, logistics) (I)
Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization (I)