Customer Marketing Manager -thought leadership position that owns the customer and is responsible for converting consumer marketing strategies into executable strategic/tactical sales plans. The Customer Marketing Manager provides leadership in terms of the development and execution of trade marketing strategies within assigned areas of responsibility. Position focuses on creation, implementation and coordination of the trade marketing plan in terms of merchandising, assortment, pricing, and shelf management and insuring alignment with overall corporate objectives. Position requires close communication with sales, marketing, finance, manufacturing, distribution and purchasing functions to sense business conditions and trends. Position is primarily responsible for the development, deployment, evaluation, and reconciliation of the trade promotion budget. Position also provides significant analyses of brand/product performance that help develop, implement or monitor sales and trade marketing programs and identify opportunities for growth and overall business improvement.
- Develop Annual Plan
- Analyze consumption, shipment and competitive activity to determine customer and category trends.
- Determine appropriate trade spending levels based on strategic objectives, the competitive landscape, post promotion analyses and customer/market opportunities.
- Review current customer distribution status to identify gaps and develop strategic plans to fill. • Develop appropriate strategy, structure, and spend level for trade merchandising events
- Review current pricing dynamics and develop plans to address price gap issues
- Review current shelf conditions and develop plans to improve NWP position and space allocation
- Coordinate with Field Sales the development of customer specific business plans.
- Develop required presentation materials for Senior Management.
- Translate annual consumer business plan into specific trade marketing strategies and objectives e.g. Big 6 Sales Plan Implement/Monitor Trade Marketing Programs
- Create necessary protocol to assure customer adherence to agreed upon trade marketing programs with regard to pricing, promotion and distribution.
- Evaluate competitive environment to identify risks/opportunities and develop appropriate actions plans.
- Conduct necessary analyses using consumption, shipment, panel or other data as appropriate to evaluate customer trade promotion effectiveness. Based on these analyses, recommend actions for improvement. Business Development • Participate in cross functional task teams as required. Such task teams could involve topics such as new product development, forecasting, etc.
- Participate in customer meetings as needed.
- Provide ad hoc analyses as needed by executive committee.
Key Attributes for Success:
- Manage a multi-million annual trade promotion budget within area of responsibility
- Analysis and interpretation required in forecasting, evaluation of the trade marketing programs and in the development of category management/customer review presentations
- Management of multiple projects concurrently and effectively
- Frequent overtime required
- Some travel required
- Excellent analytical and strategic capabilities
- Strong knowledge base in terms of the CPG industry and all trade classes
- Aggressive bottom line results orientation
- Expert in Excel, proficient in PowerPoint & Word
- Strong mathematical, financial and business trend analysis skills
- High energy level and tolerance for stress
- Good communication skills (oral, written, and listening)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Solid presentation skills
- Working knowledge of other functions (e.g., sales, manufacturing, logistics)
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business or related field, MBA preferred Experience: Minimum 6-8 years in an internal or external sales position within a consumer packaged goods company (manufacturer, broker or Retailer). Preferred candidate has experience as a National/Regional Sales Manager with broker management experience and also previous Customer Marketing organizational experience.